Big Kid Science in Space!
- All five children’s titles from Big Kid Science author Jeffrey Bennett were launched to the International Space Station on January 9, 2014. Learn more and follow the new Story Time From Space Program on Facebook.
- Learn how the Dr. Bennett’s books became part of the Story Time From Space program, or watch this video of astronaut Alvin Drew reading Max Goes to the Moon from the Space Shuttle Discovery.
- Read Dr. Bennett’s article “How My Dog Made it into Orbit,” from Astronomy Beat (Sept. 2011)
The Max Goes to the Moon Planetarium Show
- Max Goes to the Moon is now a great new planetarium show for kids, families, and school groups. You can now stream it online for your classroom! Click here for details.
Activities for Classroom Use
- This set of activities on scale of the universe (pdf format) is suitable for use in middle school and up. (If you’d like background reading on the scale of space and time, you may download this sample chapter from one of my textbooks. Please do not copy or distribute.)
- This article on the science of the movie Gravity includes a set of activities for the classroom.
Try these on-line activities
More Fun Stuff
- View Max’s Famous Merry-Go-Round Trick
- Videos of Dr. Bennett’s school presentations
- Additional Videos with Dr. Bennett
- Read Dr. Bennett’s blog
Links from the Books
- Max Goes to the Moon: Answer to Challenge Question (p. 31)
- Max Goes to the Moon: “Secrets of the paintings” and other page-by-page notes
- Max Goes to Mars: “Secrets of the paintings” and other page-by-page notes
- Max Goes to Jupiter: Carl Sagan Full Quotation & Finding Jupiter in the Night Sky
- Max Goes to Jupiter: “Secrets of the paintings” and other page-by-page notes
- Max Goes to the Space Station: “Secrets of the paintings” and other page-by-page notes
Max Loves Math!
- Go to our YouTube site to see videos covering key mathematical skills for science; the videos are narrated by Dr. Bennett. Although designed as a review for high school and college students, these videos may also be of interest to younger students. Note: College instructors can access a set of in-depth, interactive tutorials based on these videos on the Mastering Astronomy site; be sure to choose one of the textbooks on which Dr. Bennett is lead author.